[Rawstudio-users] "export to GIMP" format

Martin J. Brown, Jr. mjbjr at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 31 10:07:51 CEST 2008

On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:02:17 +0200
Anders Kvist <anders at kvistmail.dk> wrote:

> Martin J. Brown, Jr. wrote:
> > So, rawstudio can 'export to GIMP'... when I do that, gimp shows the filename
> > with a '.nef' extension, but gimp doesn't read raw/nef files natively, afaik,
> > so is it still a nef, or, has it been exported as some other type?
> >
> Hi Martin
>
> Which version of Gimp do you have? Gimp should open the photo as a new
> (Untitled) image.
>
> Nomatter what, the file we send to gimp, is always a 8bit tiff called
> .rawstudio_[random_number].tif - so I don't really understand why you
> see the .nef extension in gimp... can you send a screenshot of it?
>

> /Anders Kvist

Mea culpa... a combination of an older rawstudio release, too many graphic
program windows open, and huge brain fade... (not good for a first post to
a ml)  ;)   ...

it is as you say, except gimp *shows* no extension, just 'untitled-x',
where 'x' appears to be just consecutive incremented integers.

I'm curious, why is there no 'Save' nor 'Save As'?  Rawstudio allows a
fair bit of image modifications, and it seems to me that a user might
like to _save_ (incremental) variations prior to making a decision and
exporting, or just to save current ongoing work when leaving the desk
for an extended period of time, etc.

Along those lines... the instant you use rawstudio to make a change to a
raw image is it no longer a raw image, and rawstudio actually internally
edits and shows an 8-bit tiff, or some other format?

Great program, and thanks for all the hard work.

- Martin -

----
                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                             - mjbjr at sbcglobal.net-
Public PGP Key ID: 0x5650DFBD keyserver: http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/
If you grab the key, ask me for the key fingerprint, so you can verify it.