[Rawstudio-users] Rawstudio 1.0 release candidate 1

Anders Kvist anders at kvistmail.dk
Thu Apr 17 09:15:12 CEST 2008

Olli Hänninen wrote:
> Hi Anders,
Hi Olli
> You asked for reporting known bugs. Here are the bugs I have
> experienced with SVN1758 while running Rawstudio under Ubuntu Gutsy
> (i386):
>
> 1) Quick export makes Rawstudio crash every time.
I can't make it crash with trunk and not with svn 1758, run rawstudio
from a terminal with 'gdb rawstudio' - when it crashes type in 'bt' and
send the output to us.
> 2) If you are viewing a photo at "zoom to fit" -level, zooming in will
> result in viewing upper left hand corner of the image. You would
> expect that zooming in would show a portion in the middle of the
> current view.
That's true, we'll take a look at it...
> 3) "Load 8 bit photos" worked with earlier builds (for example 0.7)
> but with SVN1758 it does not load jpegs.
Hm, that's odd, but true. We'll also check on this...
> 4) In split screen the horizontal scrolling moves only the photo on
> the left hand side.
This feature has been disabled in 1.0rc1.
> 5) When I installed SVN1758 (from daily deb-package) the zooming
> buttons and slider and exposure mask tick box disappeared.
We've decided on only having 'zoom to fit' and 'zoom to 1:1' - and the
menubar in top of the preview window were taking up space. There are
keyboard shortcuts for all actions and split and exposure mask are also
in the context menu - right click on the previewed photo.
> 6) There are some phrases that are not included in the pot-file. (See
> my earlier email under topic "Finnish translation".)
Hm, where did you get the .pot file? The danish translation i made have
the mentioned keys.

> While eagerly waiting for 1.0, I would humbly present some of my
> thoughts on features I would like to see in the next releases. My main
> hopes for the TODO list are:
As 1.0rc1 is out, we have frozen our current build. But we'll need
something to do when 1.0 is done too :)
> 1) Thumbnails should be updated and processed so that all changes to
> the image would result in changes to thumbnails too. This is the major
> UI feature that divides Rawstudio from the commercial products.
We've discussed this a lot because of the the A,B,C snapshots. Which
snapshot should the thumbnail be updated from?
> 2) You should be able to rename the photos.
We've decided not to include those features, because we don't wanna
create a file manager, but concentrate on raw workflow... That said,
we'll still have to listen to our users and create features that are
wanted by the users :)
> 3) I would like to have a "hand" that you can use to drag the photo
> around. It would be much faster to use than to scroll the photo with
> sliders. This feature is in literally all other developed raw-converters.
This is a bug - we had this feature in the old preview widget :)
> 4) At the moment you can click a point on the photo to set it as the
> white point. I am used to a feature mentioned in 3) and therefore I
> keep on accidentally clicking the photo and am losing my white balance
> settings all the time. :p I suggest that this white balance function
> is set as a pipet/dropper tool (meaning you first have to click a
> button or a tick box before you can click the photo to set the white
> point).
Hehe, a lot does those accidently clicks... We've talked about using
CTRL-click to set WB instead. How about this?
> 5) I have used Rawshooter for a long long time. I really loved that it
> had two contrast sliders: one for darker areas (low key) and one for
> lighter areas (high key). This feature was relly useful because you
> could increase contrast in the upper or lower band without ruining the
> other. For example if your photo was overexposed or almost
> overexposed, you can't barely use the contrast slider. If the contrast
> would be divided to two, you could increase contrast in low key areas
> while preserving highlights.
We have highlight and shadow contrast sliders on our todo, but decided
they weren't stoppers for 1.0. You can use the curves for doing this.
> 6) Camera white balance -support for Olympus E-1 (as discussed on
> separate thread).
We'll see what we can do :)

> Best regards,
>
> Ollli
We'll fix the bugs before 1.0 and add the other feature requests to our
general todo. Thanks for helping out :)

Anders Kvist