[Rawstudio-dev] Rawstudio start-up slow on AFS

Martin Christensen martin.sand.christensen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 10:13:03 CET 2008

Hi, guys!

I'm getting pretty annoyed when starting Rawstudio at work where we use
AFS. In case you're not aware, AFS is a networked file system, where the
/afs node in one's file system lists every registered AFS cell in the
world. An strace reveals that when starting Rawstudio, it attempts to
list every one of these AFS cells, which is unbearably slow. I suspect
that it might be the directory tree widget on the Open tab that is the
culprit: it's very common for that kind of widget to delve at least one
step into each directory level that it can see in order to determine if
it needs to put a '+' (or whatever) by the directory name to show that
it can be expanded. Don't you think it would be possible to delay the
initialisation of this directory tree widget until the Open tab is
actually displayed? That would help a lot. So far, Rawstudio has been

Martin