[Rawstudio-dev] Re: tooltips

Erik Buehler photonymous at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 02:01:17 CEST 2008

Oleksandr,

Thanks for the thoughts. I agree; I certainly wouldn't want to clutter
up the interface. Typically, the "tool tip delay" should be set such
that an experienced user would never see the tool tips. Only when
hovering long enough should they pop up.... but not TOO long. There's
a delicate balance. Perhaps my terminology is wrong for what I
describe as "tooltips" for menu items. These definitely exist in some
GTK software, like Gnome, and Gimp. Try it out, you'll see them pop up
for many menu items (and of course, tool buttons) if you hover long
enough.

In RawStudio, there are already a few tool tips. For instance, hover
over the "transform" buttons. Is that delay sufficient? They seem
well-behaved to me.

As far as the status bar goes, I've seen that before, but my
impression was that the community was converging on not using status
bar for this, and using tool tips instead. As an anecdote, tooltips
are so common that my eyes are trained to look for them, but I rarely
ever think to look at the status bar, unless I'm looking for the
mouse's pixel coordinates, or something like that. Perhaps my brain
has been corrupted by Windows (?). As a programmer, I do like the
status bar, but as a user, I can't say its my favorite UI component.
It has a habit of wasting pixels.

Anyone else have thoughts on this subject?

 - Erik