[Rawstudio-dev] adding full exif support

Rafael Espíndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 21:57:08 CEST 2008

>  rs_tiff_load_meta is where you could start, it tries to load different
>  metadata from the rawfile. This would be an ideal place to load all EXIF
>  metadata, we have the RS_METADATA structure, where we could add EXIF
>  data.

I was looking at it. My first idea was to have a field for each
information we want from exif. So for example, it would have a
"gstring data_time_original".

The problem with this is that some information is not standardized.
For example, Nikon has "Exif.Nikon3.Lens". Canon has
	Exif.CanonCs.Lens. Because of this, we need to keep the name of the
tag. It would be very strange to use a Nikon and have a jpg with
Exif.CanonCs.Lens on it :-)

My current plan is to have an object with two interfaces.

A low level one allows us to get a value of a particular exif key
directly. Using this interface we can copy a list of key that we would
like to have on the final file (Exif.CanonCs.Lens and Exif.Nikon3.Lens
are on it).

On top of this I would add some higher level methods (functions?) that
can abstract the manufacture specific keys. For example, a get_lens
method would return a data structure with all that we know about the
lens, regardless if the photo was taken with a Nikon or Canon.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Rafael