[Rawstudio-dev] Some toughts about exif

Anders Brander anders at brander.dk
Thu Aug 3 22:10:38 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 12:21 +0200, Anders Kvist wrote:
> When reading exif data for writing in export files, should all data be
> added or only some selected groups or what?

We should read and write everything that still makes sense after
raw-conversion.

Is exif-data only what is referenced in EXIF IFD from TIFF tag 0x8769?

> If the first (which i think is the best even though it's a couble of kb
> data), i'm thinking:
>
> When reading all tags, can the meta reader check for new tags which we
> doesn't read/support, so a message can be posted to the user if exif
> data has changed in a firmware upgrade or a newer camera? The user is
> then able to give us a raw file which has the "problem" so we can get it
> supported...

My two cents:
I don't feel comfortable with this kind of feedback. It would be very
hard to understand all (undocumented) exif-tags. We shouldn't force
users to help with the development, but maybe it would make sense in
--maintainer-mode.

/abrander